9/02/2009

Seattle is 18 Days Away

HEAD TO THE EMERALD CITY

There is still plenty of time to register for this years conference. Though online registration ends in two days you can still fax in your registration or register on-site. If you are thinking at this last minute there's no way you could pull off a trip to this highly anticipated training conference, let me share my 1997 IAWP Dallas Conference story.

I decided at the last minute to go to The 1997 IAWP Conference in Dallas. The hotel was full, there were no rooms available and I had no idea what/where the overflow hotel was. This was before the full use of the internet that we enjoy in 2009. So I jumped on a plane and by faith made my way to the lobby of the conference hotel. It was my second year as an IAWP member and I really did not know anyone.

Being outgoing and friendly I asked at the registration desk if they knew of anyone who needed a roommate. They began asking around. They told me there was a lady from Trinidad & Tobago who was willing to share her room. She graciously shared her room with me. That year I met and became friends with Kathleen Weeks, my roommate for the conference. I enjoyed the time we spent together. Kathleen was a high ranking senior officer from her Police Service at the time. She took me under her wing and introduced me to many international members of IAWP. I look forward every year to seeing her.

This incident is one of the reason I love the IAWP. This organization consist of compassionate women (and men) of many ranks from diverse backgrounds with the love of law enforcement and the people who make up the profession. There are so many positive stories like this one that can be shared about IAWP connections.

In 2009, I would not recommend the same approach because it would overwhelm our awesome conference committee but I do know there have been some members querying about roommates. Sharing a room with another member can make the conference more affordable
for those of us who pay our own way to the annual training conferences.

Also check with the conference airline, good airfares are still available. A link is available on the conference site.

Join us in Seattle. You will have a great time. You will meet many people from all over the world and you can build life long friendships, relationships and great networks.

Invest in yourself and your career. I look forward to seeing you in Washington State.

Stay Safe,

Tamia Dow
IAWP Chaplain
ChaplainDow@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment